|AREA DESCRIPTIONS AS PER KELLY'S DIRECTORY MID-1930s|
|ALVERSTOKE & CLAYHALL||GOSPORT||ELSON & HARDWAY & BRIDGEMARY|
|FORTON & BROCKHURST||ANGLESEY||LEE-ON-THE-SOLENT|
|LEE-ON-THE-SOLENT is a watering place about 3 miles
from Gosport. The pier head was destroyed by fire in 1932.
Facing the pier is a granite cross erected in memory of those connected with
the district who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The parish of St.
Faith was formed out of the parish of Crofton in 1935. The church was
opened in 1933 and will seat 400 people. The west window is dedicated
to the memory of Theodore Woods, late Bishop of Winchester. The living
is in the gift of the Bishop of Portsmouth, net yearly value £325, and has
been held since 1930 by the Rev. Douglas E. Hunter B.A. of Lichfield
There is also a Roman Catholic church, and a Methodist church in Studland Road. About 1 mile from the pier are golf links of 18 holes. Under the Gosport Extension Act, 1930, parts of the parishes of Crofton and Rowner were formed into the new parish of Lee-on-the-Solent, in the borough of Gosport. The parish is supplied with water by the Gosport Water Works Co.
Post, M. O. & T. & T. E. D. Office, 4 Pier Street. — Herbt. Henry Curtis, postmaster.
Elmore Post Office, Portsmouth Road; A. J. F. Taylor, sub-postmaster
Lee-on-the-Solent Pier, Marine Parade East
City of Portsmouth Electricity Undertaking; sub-stations, Beach Road & Chester Crescent
Places of Worship:—
St. Faith's Church, Milvil Road; Rev. Douglas E. Hunter B.A. The Vicarage, Richmond Road, vicar
Roman Catholic Church, South Place
Methodist Church, Studland Road
GOSPORT is a seaport and town and the head of a petty sessional division, with a terminal station on the Southern Railway, 13 miles south-east from Southampton, 23½ south from Winchester, 5 south from Fareham, 20 south-west from Petersfield and 88 by rail and 76 by road from London, in the Fareham parliamentary division of the county of Hants (the boundary of which is co-terminous with that of the parish of Alverstoke), liberties of Alverstoke and Gosport, Portsmouth county court district, rural deanery of Alverstoke and archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth.
The town was originally governed by Local Board formed under 37 and 38 Vict. c. 59 and subsequently by the Gosport and Alverstoke Urban District Council, which, under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73) superseded the Local Board. In the year 1922 a Charter of Incorporation was granted, and the Urban District became a Municipal Borough. The borough is divided into nine wards, called respectively the Christ Church, Newtown, Alverstoke, Town, Elson, Leesland, Brockhurst, Forton and Lee wards, and the council consists of a mayor, deputy mayor, nine aldermen and twenty-seven councillors.
The name, according to tradition, is derived from God's Port, the place, it is said, having been so called by Bishop Henry de Blois, who in the year 1158 put into this port for safety from a storm at sea, and a deed of grant still exists in the archives of the see of Winchester confirmatory of this incident.
In the fifteenth century it was but an insignificant village, consisting of a few fishing huts, and has risen to its present importance chiefly on account of its proximity to Portsmouth. The modern town consists of the High Street, the principal thoroughfare extending westward from the ferry, and a number of other streets running parallel to, or intersecting it at various angles: it occupies a small peninsula on the opposite side of the harbour to Portsmouth, connection being maintained by means of steam launches and a floating bridge.
The town is lighted with gas by the Portsmouth and Gosport Gas Co. and with electricity by the City of Portsmouth Electricity Undertaking and supplied with water from works situated some ten miles north in the district of Mislingford, in the parish of Soberton, the property of the Gosport Water Works Co.; and has a system of drainage. The Southern Railway has extensions from the terminal station to the Royal Clarence Yard, for the requirements of the Admiralty.
Holy Trinity and St. Matthew are ecclesiastical parishes, taken out of the civil parish of Alverstoke, the former in 1860 and the latter in 1845. The church of the Holy Trinity, built in 1696, and since enlarged, is an edifice of red brick with stucco dressings, of the Ionic order; in 1887-8 the interior was entirely remodelled, and the west end rebuilt; it now consists of a chancel, nave of eight bays, aisles, west porch and a detached tower at the north-west angle erected in 1889, and containing 8 bells, and a clock; the organ was formerly in the private chapel at Canons, Little Stanmore, Middlesex, the seat of the famous James Brydges, Duke of Chandos to whom Handel was organist; on the demolition of the mansion, in 1748, the organ was purchased by the inhabitants of Gosport and re-erected here; it has since been altered and enlarged, but still retains the old pipes and flute stops. A stone crucifix was erected in the churchyard in 1922 as a memorial to the men who fell in the Great War 1941-18. A chapel on the north side of the church was completed in 1926. A vestry and a requiem chapel were dedicated in 1928 in memory of the Rev. Henry Woolsey, a former vicar. There are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1696. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £355, with residence. It is in the gift of the rector of Alverstoke, and has been held since 1935 by the Rev. Cyril Lancelot Thorold Barclay.
St Matthew's church, in St. Matthew's square, on the north side of the town, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave of five bays, aisles and south porch, and has 550 sittings. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly £376, with residence. It is in the gift of the rector of Alverstoke and the Bishop of Portsmouth alternatively, and has been held since 1930 by the Rev. Denis James L.Th. of Durham University.
Christ Church is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1913 from St. Mary, Alverstoke; the church, in the Stoke Road, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave of four bays and north and south aisles: it was enlarged in 1882, and has 530 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value of £400, with residence. It is in the gift of the Bishop of Portsmouth, and has been held since 1913 by the Rev. Ronald Sedgwick M.A. of Emmanuel College Cambridge.
The Portsmouth and Gosport Seamen's Mission was established in 1853, by Mr Henry Cook. In connection with this Mission is a Seamen's Bethel, and Lads' Institute: it is open every evening and free to all sailors; there is also a Sunday school, in South Street, established in 1853.
The Roman Catholic church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, in High Street, affords 250 sittings; the front of the church was renewed in 1900 and a new presbytery built. There is a school for 250 children and chapel seating 400 persons at Ann's Hill Road, near the railway bridge.
There is a Congregational church in High Street, founded in 1663, and seating 800; Methodist, in Stoke Road, built in 1910, with 420 sittings, with Sunday school attached and a Baptist church in Stoke Road, built in 1910, and seating 600 persons.
Union Chapel, Stoke Road, erected in 1864, is protestant evangelical and inter-denominational, and has 350 sittings.
The Market House, in High Street, was erected in 1812.
The Thorngate Memorial Hall, at the top of High Street, immediately behind the old town ramparts, was erected in 1885 at a cost of about £9,000 by the trustees of the Thorngate charities, as a memorial to William Thorngate esq. a merchant of this town, the founder of large and extensive charities in the parish of Alverstoke, as well as in London and other parts of the United Kingdom, amounting in the whole to upwards of £3,000 annually: it is a building of red brick with stone dressings, in the Flemish Gothic style, with stepped gables, and flanked in front by two crenellated and domed turrets: the interior is capable of seating 650 people; adjoining on the south side are offices for the trustees of the charities, and a room for meetings of societies: on the north side are the offices for the Gosport Borough Council.
The Borough of Gosport Public Library and Secondary School, opened in 1886, and moved to present building in 1901, is situated at the corner of Walpole Road, and contains reading and reference rooms and a lending department of over 12,000 volumes. The school was enlarged in 1907 and is used as a secondary day school.
There are ship yards and large yards for building yachts, and a considerable trade is carried on, chiefly in articles for the supply of the army and navy.
About a mile south of Gosport, on the other side of Alverstoke lake (crossed by a toll bridge), is Haslar Royal Hospital, for sick and wounded seamen and marines and members of the military and air forces, erected under the auspices of John, fourth Earl of Sandwich and first lord of the Admiralty, in the reign of George II.: it is a quadrangular building, and a small chapel named St. Luke's, and stands on a plot of ground formerly called Haslar farm. There is also a museum in the establishment, to which the public have free access: the hospital is available for 2,000 patients: adjoining are the Royal Engineers' Barracks.
The United Service Golf Club, established in 1886, has an 18-hole course near Fort Monckton in Stokes Bay, 1½ miles from Gosport hard: there are 200 members: subscription, gentleman 4 guineas, ladies 3 guineas. Hon. Secretary, Capt. A. Stokes R.N. (ret.); Professional, Percy Hills. Ladies' Hon. Secretary, Miss E. Briggs.
The park adjoining the Institution was laid out in 1891.
The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor.
Under the Ministry of Health Provisional Order Confirmation (Gosport Extension) Act, 1930, the borough was extended to include the parish of Lee-on-the-Solent, formed from parts of the parishes of Crofton and Rowner.
Under the County of Southampton Review Order, 1932, the borough was extended to include that part of the Fareham rural district which comprises the whole of the parish of Rowner.
The area of the Borough of Gosport, is 6,227 acres; the population in 1931 was 37,928. The populations of the ecclesiastical parishes in 1931 were: Holy Trinity, 1,820; St. Matthew, 2,942.
BURROW, or Rat Island, is about a quarter of a mile from Gosport in Portsmouth Harbour: it is the property of the Crown. This place is reputed to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.
GOSPORT WAR MEMORIAL
Physicians, Major Paul M. Terry, L.R.C.P. & S. Edin., J.P.
& Charles Lamplough M.D.
|ALVERSTOKE, mentioned in Domesday Book as
Alwarestock, is a parish and village, 2 miles south from Gosport station, on
the Southern Railway (Western section) and 15 miles by road and 2½
by steam launch west from Portsmouth.
The parish includes the town and port of Gosport, the chapelry of Anglesey, the districts or hamlets of Elson, Hardway, Forton, Brockhurst and Bridgemary, and a detached portion of Rowner parish, which was added under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act: it is in the Fareham parliamentary division of the county of Hants, municipal; borough of Gosport (to a ward of which it gives its name), county court district of Portsmouth, petty sessional division of Gosport, Borough of Gosport (to one of the wards of which Alverstoke gives its name), rural deanery of Alverstoke and archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth. Stokes Bay pier is in this parish.
The church of St. Mary, originally Norman, is a building of stone in the Early English style, and consists of a chancel, nave of five bays, aisles and a western tower, 80 feet in height: the tower was built in 1905 as a memorial of the restoration of peace after the South African war. It contains a clock with two dials on the north and south sides and eight bells, five of which were added in 1919 in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War 1914-18: the chancel was built in 1865, and the nave in 1885: there are 800 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Anglesey annexed, gross yearly value £1,300, net income £1,035, including 45 acres of glebe, with residence. It is in the gift of the Bishop of Portsmouth, and has been held since 1907 by the Rev. Canon Guy Landon M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford, rural dean of Alverstoke, and surrogate. There are charges on this rectory of £50 for the vicarage of Forton, £50 for the vicarage of Elson and £50 for the vicarage of St. Matthew's, Gosport, also a pension of £6 13s. 4d. to St. Cross Hospital, Winchester. There is a Roman Catholic church in Ann's Hill Road dedicated to the Sacred Heart and St. Joseph.
The cemetery in Ann's Hill Road, near Bury Cross, was laid out in 1854 and enlarged in 1887, 1902 and 1934; it is now 30 acres in extent and has two mortuary chapels. The charities amount to £18 yearly. Holme's Almshouses, for two poor widows, were rebuilt by the churchwardens of Alverstoke, Thomas Walpole being rector, in 1849; the appointments are in the gift of the rector and churchwardens of St. Mary's church. Haslar Hospital, Forts Monckton and Gilkicker, and the Blockhouse Fort, Brown Down battery and Fort Gomer are in this parish; Fort Grange and Fort Rowner are partly so. Bricks are largely made in this parish. Bay House, a mansion of Portland stone, situated in a well-wooded district, was erected by Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton, in 1838, and is now occupied by Lt.-Col. Ronald Francis Assheton Sloane-Stanley J.P. The principal landowners are the War Department and the Admiralty, M. H. House and Major C. E. Grey Stalkartt. Alverstoke parish comprises Alverstoke and Gosport. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are market garden produce, wheat and cereals. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 9,928.
CLAYHALL in this parish has a mission room; the Haslar Royal Naval New Cemetery is also situated here.
|ANGLESEY (or ANGLESEYVILLE) is a village and chapelry, in
the parish and union of Alverstoke, 1 mile south from Gosport Road station,
and 2 miles south from Gosport Terminal station, both on the Southern
Railway (Western section) and 15 west from Portsmouth by road, or 2½
by steam launch, in the Fareham parliamentary division of the county of
Hants, municipal borough of Gosport, county court district of Portsmouth,
petty sessional division of Gosport, rural deanery of Alverstoke and
archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth. The village is modern, the
foundation stone of the earliest building, Uxbridge House, having been laid
in 1826, by Henry William, first Marquess of Anglesey K.G., G.C.B.
Letters are received from Gosport. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Alverstoke.
|ELSON and HARDWAY, on the shore of Portsmouth harbour,
constitute an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1845 from the parish of
Alverstoke, situated 2 miles north from Gosport, and 16 north-west from
Portsmouth by road and 2½ by steam launch; it
is in the Fareham parliamentary division of the county of Hants, Alverstoke
civil parish, liberties of Alverstoke and Gosport, municipal borough of
Gosport (to a ward of which it gives its name), Portsmouth county court
district, petty sessional division of Gosport, rural deanery of Alverstoke
and archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth.
The church of St. Thomas, erected in 1845, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave and a western turret containing one bell: there : there are 409 sittings. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £406, with residence. It is in the gift of the rector of Alverstoke, and has been held since 1933 by the Rev. Charles Partridge of Lincoln Theological College. At Hardway there is a Methodist church and a Baptist chapel.
The Isolation Fever Hospital at Elson, for the Borough of Gosport and Alverstoke, was erected in 1898, and will hold 26 patients: there is a smallpox block attached, holding 8 beds, making 57 beds in all. The War Department, the Admiralty and M. H. House are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The area is 2,000 acres; the population in 1931 was 4,329.
HARDWAY is a hamlet on the shore of Portsmouth harbour.
BRIDGEMARY is also a hamlet in Elson parish, on the road to Fareham. Priddy's Hard adjoins Hardway.
FORTON is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish, formed
in 1841 from the civil parish of Alverstoke, 16 miles south-east from
Southampton, 1 north from Gosport, 1½ by steam
launch and 14 by road north-west from Portsmouth and 90 from London, in the
Fareham parliamentary division of the county of Hants, civil parish of
Alverstoke, liberties of Alverstoke and Gosport, municipal borough of
Gosport (to a ward of which it gives its name), Portsmouth county court
district, Gosport petty sessional division, rural deanery of Alverstoke and
archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth.
|ROWNER is a parish,
mentioned in Domesday Book as Ruenore, 1¼ miles north-west from Brockhurst
station on the Southern railway, 3 north-west from Gosport, 3 south-east
from Fareham and 87 from London, in the Fareham parliamentary division of
the county of Hants, hundred of Titchfield, Gosport petty sessional
division, county court district of Portsmouth, rural deanery of Alverstoke
and archdeaconry and diocese of Portsmouth. Under the provisions of
the Divided Parishes Act, 1882, two detached parts of Rowner were
transferred to Alverstoke for civil purposes, and by Local Government Board
Order 18,581, dated March 25, 1886, part of the latter parish was added to
the former for civil purposes: by the Ministry of Health Provisional Order
Confirmation (Gosport Extension) Act, 1930, nearly half of parish
transferred to borough of Gosport, and by the
County of Southampton Review
Order 1932 the whole of this parish was transferred to the said borough
forming part of Elson ward.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient structure in the Early English style, consisting off a chancel, nave, south porch and a shingled western belfry containing one bell: there is a monument to the Brune family, dated 1559; the church was restored and enlarged in 1874, and affords 110 sittings. In 1931 a lych gate was erected to the memory of the late Rev. E. S. Prideaux-Brune, for many years rector of the parish. The register dates from the year 1590. The living is a rectory, net income £356, including 7 acres of glebe with residence. It is in the gift of Col. C. R. Prideaux-Brune D.L., J.P. and has been held since 1919 by the Rev. Francis Neville Davis M.A., B.Litt., F.S.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. Close to the church are some ancient ruins, supposed to be of the old Manor House of the Brune family. Fort Grange is in this parish. The soil is loam; subsoil, clay and loam. The chief crops are grain.
Fareham is the post town for the northern portion of parish and Lee-on-the-Solent for the Rectory and southern portion. The nearest money order offices are at Camden Town, Gosport, Forton and Lee-on-the-Solent. The nearest telegraph office is at Lee-on-the-Solent.
The children of this place attend the Stubbington and Elson schools.
top of page
streets listed and search box
By courtesy of Kelly's